Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tasty Tues-err-Wednesday

Yesterday was a busy and crazy day, so I never did get a recipe posted. So, I'll just post it today! :) A little background on this recipe, my Mom had given me a bunch of recipe books not long after Will and I married. One of which was the 1984 Festive Foods. For my 19th birthday, Will found this recipe in that book, and made me dinner. We usually just went out for my birthday, but he decided to cook that year. It was so nice to just sit back, relax, not have to worry about dinner or clean up! When he said he was making meatloaf, my heart dropped. I don't like meatloaf! But, I couldn't tell HIM that! So I quietly dreaded dinner. When it was ready, I sat down at the table, he blessed the meal, we filled our plates, I took the first bite. This didn't taste like any meatloaf I'd ever had! It was filled with HAM and CHEESE! It was delicious! Since then, it's become one of our favorite meals. I made it last night for dinner. We had company over, and Will loves for me to tell people how I came across this recipe. :) I hope you all enjoy it!

Sicilian Meatloaf

2 pounds Ground Beef
3 Eggs, beaten
3/4 cup Bread Crumbs
1/2 cup Tomato Juice
1 Tablespoon Parsley
1/4 teaspoon Dried Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1/8 teaspoon Garlic Salt
8 Thin Slices Ham
6 ounces Grated Mozzarella Cheese

Combine ground beef with eggs, bread crumbs, tomato juice, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper & garlic salt. Mis until well combined (I use my hands) On a piece of foil, about 15-inches long, pat mixture into a 12x10 inch rectangle. Arrange ham slices on top, leaving margin around edges. Sprinkle with cheese, reserving 1/2 cup. Carefully roll up meat, using foil to lift. Seal edges and ends. Place seam side down in 13x9" baking dish. Press down slightly. Bake 350* 1 hour 15 minutes.

I love to serve green beans, ceasar salad & rolls with it...Yummy! :)

2 comments: